Most women and men will be affected by this condition eventually. The earlier you get treatment for this condition, the better your chances are for growing your hair back. You can use natural treatments to stimulate hair growth and stop thinning. There are a number of reasons for hair loss which are different in men and women. Men generally experience hair loss for hereditary reasons and hormonal factors such as change in testosterone levels. Excessive stress and consumption of alcohol and smoking are also some reasons for male hair loss.
1. A regular massage to the hair roots encourages hair growth. In aromatherapy, special essential oils like rosemary and lavender are used, which not only prevent hair loss but also make the hair shiny and strong. Herbs like nettle root and saw palmetto are also said to prevent hair loss. You can remove the extract of these herbs at home, or bring ready-made nettle root and saw palmetto extracts. These are herbal remedies and hence have no side-effects.
2. Maintaining a healthy diet is advised for good hair health. Eat green vegetables, dairy products, fruits and iron rich foods to strengthen hair. Drinking coconut water is another recommendation to prevent hair loss. Amla is a rich natural source of vitamin C. Eating Amla or drinking its juice is another dietary suggestion.
3. Avoid strong shampoos and conditioners. Also avoid exposing hair to harsh weather such as wind or sunlight for long duration.
4. The herb saw palmetto reduces the levels of DHT in the body. Green tea contains compounds which prevent the enzyme 5-alpha-reductase from converting testosterone into DHT. Green tea works best as a treatment for thinning hair when it is poured directly onto the scalp.
5. If you want your hair to stay on your head and not on your comb, stop changing hair care products every now and then. This also applies to the cool looking colors and shades. Hair experts advice a gap of at least 6-8 weeks. Frequent hair color change can also cause hair loss. Do not use shampoos that can be harsh on your hair, consult a dermatologist for the right shampoo for your hair. There are also special hair loss prevention shampoos available. Also, try to dry your hair in the natural way. If this isn’t possible, dry it on medium heat rather than high heat of the hair dryer.
6. Wash your head with warm water without shampoo. Rub salt into the scalp for 10 to 15 minutes. Wash with shampoo. Repeat once weekly for five to six weeks. Combine one part cognac, four parts onion juice and six parts burdock tea. Apply to the scalp and cover the head for two hours. Rinse. Repeat once a week.
7. Home made shampoo – Soak equal amounts of dried shikakai, amla and reetha powder in some water, preferably in an iron vessel. Next day, use it to wash hair. This promotes hair growth as well as cures dandruff.